Your keyboard may have been damaged if you dropped your laptop or spilled liquid on it, therefore you’ll need to know how to disable laptop keyboards and use external ones instead. Right? For anyone in this group, we’ve put together a guide on permanently or temporarily disabling a keyboard.
You can install, replace, clean, or retouch the keys after the keyboard has been disabled without harming your operating system. However, replacing your laptop’s keyboard with an external keyboard is a quick and easy solution to get back to work! External keyboards have the disadvantage of being inconvenient to transport.
However, they have some advantages over laptops, including improved typing, quicker replacement, and lower cost. You might also replace the entire keyboard, which is pretty costly.
In these instances, laptop users may want to disable the laptop’s malfunctioning keyboard to avoid unwittingly typing unwanted keystrokes. To avoid any (disastrous) modifications while your keyboard is damaged, make a daily backup of your vital files.
In terms of the subject, we went over five distinct ways to disable a laptop keyboard. As a result, you can choose the most convenient and effective way for you. So, without further due, let’s get started.
How to Easily Disable the Laptop Keyboard in Windows?
Linux and Ubuntu are two examples of operating systems with various implementations. It’s easy to disable the keyboard on Windows momentarily (if you’re only doing it temporarily).
If you want to disable it permanently, though, it’s a little more difficult. You need not be concerned; we have thoroughly discussed both to assist you in this subject.
How to disable Off the Laptop Keyboard Temporarily
The methods are simple if you merely want to disable your laptop’s keyboard till you restart it. All you have to do now is uninstall the device’s drivers using Device Manager.
If you only need a temporary repair and don’t mind restarting your laptop, this is a simple and quick way to disable the keyboard. Take a look at the step-by-step instructions:
1. In the Start Menu Search box, type “devmgmt.msc” to launch Device Manager.
2. Expand Keyboards now.
3. Uninstall the Netbook Keyboard Device by right-clicking on it.
4. You can re-enable it by simply restarting your laptop at any moment.
When you uninstall a device, you will be asked for confirmation several times. If you accept any of the suggestions, don’t restart your laptop. By restarting the laptop, the laptop keyboard can be restored to its former operating condition.
How to Use Group Policy Editor to Permanently Disable Laptop Keyboard?
The built-in Local Group Policy Editor can be used to block Windows from performing any actions. This will stop your laptop computer from automatically installing the keyboard driver when it boots up. To do so, all you have to do is recognize the laptop’s hardware ID,
which makes the process much easier. When you’re finished, use Group Policy Editor to disable anything connected to that specific ID. By following this simple procedure, you can permanently disable your laptop keyboard. So let’s get this party started.
1. Go to Device Manager -> The Keyboard Driver -> Right-Click Properties -> Details -> Property “Corresponding Device ID” to get the Device ID.
2. Take note of this figure.
3. Remove the driver
4. Navigate from the left panel to the group policy edit. System -> Device Installation -> Device Installation Restriction -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Device Installation -> Device Installation Restriction
5. Select the option that says “Prevent installation of devices corresponding to any of these device ids” in the same policy editor.
6. Turn it on and put the Device ID into the “Options” section.
Open the Group Policy Editor and change the status to “Not Configured” to re-enable the laptop keyboard. Remember to restart your laptop to save any changes.
How to Permanently Disable a Laptop Keyboard (The Simplest Way)
If you wish to disable your laptop keyboard permanently, follow the steps below. Your computer will be tricked into utilizing an erroneous keyboard driver instead of the original one if you use this method.
The drivers will not be installed after you restart your laptop. The keyboard isn’t working because the improper drivers were installed.
1. Open the Device Manager in the same way you did in the previous procedure.
2. Then, for the keyboard you want to disable, select the Update driver option.
3. Select “Search my computer for driver software” in the text box that displays.
4. Select the option “Let me select from a list” from the list of available drivers.
5. Uncheck the box that says “Show suitable hardware.”
6. Last but not least, choose a driver that does not operate with the keyboard on your laptop.
7. Simply follow the instructions on-screen to install the erroneous driver on your laptop.
Once you’ve completed it, your keyboard will be disabled. After leaving Device Manager, restart the laptop. As soon as your computer restarts, you will see that your laptop keyboard is no longer functional.
In addition, if you ever need to recover the functionality of your keyboard, you can use the Device Manager to install the compatible drivers.
How to Disable Laptop Keyboards Using Third-Party Apps
There is no easy way to disable the laptop keyboard in Windows 10. But don’t worry, you can use a third-party tool to simplify this time-consuming process and disable your laptop keyboard without using device management.
Various software that makes it simple to disable a keyboard on Windows can be found on the internet. To remedy your problem, we’ve provided the settings that will allow you to disable particular keys and the trackpad.
KeyFreeze is a free utility software that allows you to rapidly disable the keyboard on a Windows PC and the built-in keyboard on your laptop. It has a simple installation method that takes only a few clicks. Run this software on your computer to lock your laptop keyboard.
The Lock Keyboard and Mouse Button will appear on the screen once it is opened. Simply click it to disable off both of your laptop’s gadgets at the same time.
The primary drawback of this software is that you can’t only disable off one device at a time. Both gadgets will be disabled in a matter of seconds.
To restore keyboard and mouse functionality on the disabled keyboard, hit the Control, Alt, and Delete keys on the disabled keyboard at the same time, then press ESC on the keyboard keypad. Keyfreeze is the greatest software for fast turning off a laptop keyboard on Windows 10, and it’s completely free.
2. Locker for your keyboard
You must first install the Keyboard Locker software on your laptop. Install it on your hard drive after that, and then open the installation folder.
There are other files in the folder, but you must locate KeyboardLocker.exe. To effortlessly disable the laptop keyboard, carefully follow the procedures below.
- To run the software on your laptop, double-click on KeyboardLocker.exe.
- The small keyboard symbol will appear in your notification area after it has been activated. This indicates that the software is not yet ready for usage.
- To unlock the keyboard, hold down Ctrl+Alt+L at the same time. This command will lock the keyboard, and the locker icon will change to indicate that your keyboard is now locked.
You can also re-enable the keyboard by following the same steps. All of the necessary keyboard keys, such as Caps Lock and Nums Lock, are disabled.
How to disable Any Key on Your Keyboard?
Even if you don’t use any of the keys on your laptop keyboard, you can disable them using third-party software if you happen to press one by accident. To remedy such issues, it’s generally enough to entirely disable a certain keyboard key. Furthermore, it will not be disabled indefinitely.
It’s simple to turn it back on anytime you need it. I recommend using KeyTweak App and Simple Disable Key Software to disable individual keys.
If you wish to disable a certain key on your laptop keyboard, carefully follow the procedures below. Both applications follow the same procedure and are both safe and simple to use.
1. KeyTweak App
- Download the software
- Once the program has been downloaded, open it and click Yes when requested. By clicking I Agree, you agree to install the software.
- Launch KeyTweak after downloading and installing it, and accept any prompts.
- To disable a key, simply click on it. The key names and numbers are displayed in the Keyboard Controls menu.
- Click Apply and then Yes to restart your laptop to make the changes take effect.
2. Simple Disable Key
- Download and install the Simple Disable Key software on your laptop.
- Double-click the icon to run it after it has finished installing.
- You must select the field labeled key choice after it has opened.
- Now you must choose whatever key you want to disable. It also has an option to add a key to make the procedure go faster.
- Make careful to press Ok after selecting any Key.
When it comes to disabling off the laptop keyboard, you have a few alternatives. Third-Party Application and Device Manager, in my opinion, is the finest technique to employ.
Furthermore, if you want to permanently disable your keyboard, you should utilize Group Policy Editor, which is a bit hazardous. Your computer can crash with just one mistake. The information in the preceding article answers all of your questions concerning How to Disable Laptop Keyboards.